The Next Best Thing

October 11th, 2015 ecasti19

Hello everyone! This is Emily Castillo reporting to you live here as a first-year student at the College of the Holy Cross. I am so pumped for what this new chapter in my life has to offer. I’m ready to take on new challenging courses, new friends, new activities, a new setting, but most of all I’m ready to take on the numerous set of stairs I have to trudge in order to get around campus.

I’m not going to lie, I was super nervous (as was everyone else) before coming to Holy Cross. I knew that this was the perfect fit for me, but I also knew that there would be a few struggles I would have to overcome before I truly felt at home.

So a little bit about me! I am from Lawrence, Massachusetts which is about an hour from campus. My family comes from the Dominican Republic, and I was born here. I love writing, and I hope to pursue this as a career in the future. But also, I am extremely fascinated with the world of languages- mostly anything Asian. I am currently taking Chinese 101, Perspectives on Asia 2 (history class), my Montserrat: Fantastic Voyages, and also Writing Women in the 20th Century. So far, my classes are going great. It’s exciting to finally be able to take classes in topics that I am interested in unlike the mandatory classes in high school. The adjustment was really hard at first. The classroom setting in college is way different from high school. I also find that, I am almost always studying now, and there is always something to do. It is very challenging, but in a way that is enjoyable as I’m learning about all the subjects I have never touched upon and long wanted to. After a month, however I feel more comfortable in the classroom and taking on the rigorous workload.

Besides  academics, I am also enjoying myself by getting involved on campus! I have gladly been elected as part of the Executive board of Mulledy Hall House Council (Environmental Liaison) which means I will be taking care of anything about sustainability on campus and Mulledy, and anything that helps us become “more green” as well! Here’s an E-Board selfie!

Mulledy E-Board, Missing our Secretary, Jerome!

Also, I’m part of the Club Field Hockey team! Which we recently won our first game against Umass Lowell! Surprisingly, I ended up scoring a goal! I obviously joined the A.S.I.A (Advocating Student Interest in Asia) club as well since I love all aspects of Asian culture!

Making spring rolls in A.S.I.A's first meeting!

Making spring rolls in A.S.I.A’s first meeting!

I’ve met a lot of new friends joining clubs, in my dorm, in my classes, at Odyssey orientation, and became great friends with my roommate Kara.

IMG_1491 IMG_1137

It was not easy to adapt to this new environment, and sometimes I get homesick but I’ve easily fallen in love with Holy Cross. Here’s to a great year full of new connections, experiences, and wisdom. This is the next best thing in my life.

There’s more to come! I’ll keep you all updated.

Emily.